Looking for a new job in Minnesota? Here are ten ways to supercharge your job search this coming year and land the results you want.
- Start over. Rewrite your resume from scratch, focusing on what you’ve accomplished in the past year – whether you worked temporary jobs or stayed home to take care of family.
- Dream big. What does your dream job look like? Where is it? What do you do? Who else works with you? Imagine and write down as many details as you can, then look for jobs that fit the bill.
- Know what you don’t Make a list of deal-breakers: incompatible hours, lack of training, low pay or a boss with all the qualities you like least. This list will help you ensure you find the right job, instead of grabbing the first available opportunity – and finding yourself back on the market again in no time.
- Expand your search. Stuck in the want ads? Refreshing the same job boards over and over? Move this search to one day a week – and spend the other four looking at new sources.
- Reach out to your network. Reserve at least one day per week to contact someone in your personal and professional networks. Invite them to coffee or to a lunchtime walk. One weekly one-on-one meeting builds your network in a way that a hundred business cards cannot.
- Pursue a dream. What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to try? Find a way to make it happen – for instance, by volunteering. You’ll learn new skills, stay engaged and demonstrate to employers you have the initiative to keep moving even when the job market is tough.
- Get accomplished. When writing cover letters or practicing for an interview, focus on the biggest things you have accomplished in your past jobs. Show employers what you can achieve, rather than simply listing your skills, and you’ll stand out from the crowd.
- Try a job fair. Job fairs allow you to talk to many potential employers at once – and learn more about which ones will offer a good fit for you. Your recruiter can help you prepare for job fairs.
- Consider contract work. Temp or contract work lets you “test drive” an employer, brush up on your job skills and expand your professional network as you continue your job search. The best part? You get paid to do it!
- Work with a recruiter. Your recruiter offers access to insider information on the best job openings in your industry and a connection to the key players in your area.
At THE RIGHT STAFF, LLC, our experienced recruiters can help you find a great new job in the areas we serve, whether you’re looking in the Twin Cities or Minnesota. Contact us today to learn more.