If you’re struggling to find the right temp talent to meet your needs, ask these five questions:
- Why are we bringing in temporary staff? Your initial response might be “because we need this work to be done.” But if you’re facing obstacles, it’s time to dig deeper. Are you hiring temporary staff because you have a specialized skill need in the short term? Do you face multiple seasonal “rushes,” only to find yourself struggling to find temp staff for each of them? Is this just “how it’s always been done”? Understanding why you’re seeking to hire temporary workers can help you determine whether the hunt is truly cost-effective.
- Does the job description accurately describe what we need our temp staff to do? Temporary staff most often quit early because the job they’re actually doing doesn’t line up with the job described in the job posting and other materials. They may feel overwhelmed or lack the skills to do the real work. Talk to your staff to determine exactly what the temp staff will be doing, and use this to craft an accurate job description that pulls in the people with the right skills and experience.
- Is my team prepared to include (or work alongside) temp talent? Preparing for temp staff means preparing your current staff as well. Make sure your people know what the temp workers are there to do and what their role is. Are they to help teach and guide, or to refer questions to a particular manager and focus on their own work? Have this discussion before temporary staff arrive to help smooth operations.
- Does our temp hiring and onboarding process take too long? Many temporary workers are in high demand for their specialized skill sets or prior training. If you linger too long over choosing candidates, you may lose the best talent to employers who simply said “When can you start?” earlier than you did. Your recruiter can help you streamline the process so you find the best talent first.
- Have I used all the resources at my disposal to improve the quality of my temp candidates? Your staffing firm does more than merely recommend excellent long-term candidates. They also maintain connections with equally qualified individuals who are actively seeking contract or temporary work. Your recruiter can also handle a great deal of paperwork as the employer of record, freeing you to focus on finding and training the best people.
At THE RIGHT STAFF, LLC, our experienced recruiters can help you connect with the best temporary talent Minnesota and Wisconsin. Contact us today to learn more about our temporary staffing services in Minneapolis and beyond!