Temp jobs are short-term by definition – but taking one can produce long-term results.
Since the 2009 recession ended, temporary jobs have accounted for about 19 percent of all new jobs, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Temp jobs appear when a company needs help with overflow work, when the “busy season” in a particular industry hits, or when a company is transitioning in ways that require specialized skill sets.
Here are five reasons to take a temporary job:
- Make money while you search for a long-term job. If you’re currently out of work, you’re probably living on a pretty tight budget – and will be doing so until you find paying work. A temporary job helps ease the financial burden, lowering your stress levels and allowing you to focus on presenting your best work to potential permanent employers.
- Sharpen your skills and demonstrate your career commitment. Every job seeker dreads questions about employment gaps on a resume. While you’re in a temporary job, the “gap clock” stops. In its place, you have the chance to keep your current skills sharp, learn new ones, and demonstrate that you’re so committed to your career field that you’ll get to work any way you can – all major selling points for an interviewer.
- Learn new skills. If you’re considering a transition to a new career path, temporary work is a great way to get hands-on experience and take a new field for a “trial run.” You’ll demonstrate that you can work in the new field, and you’ll get to decide firsthand if taking the plunge long term is really what you want.
- Network and show a prospective employer your value – while getting paid to do it. Every time you walk into work at a temporary job, you’re working alongside people who can become valuable additions to your professional network. The fact that your permanently employed co-workers know you’re a temp means they also know you’re looking for long-term work. Build good relationships with co-workers and demonstrate your value to the boss in order to boost your chances of finding that long-term job you’re envisioning – whether here or with another organization.
- Kill two birds with one stone by connecting with a staffing firm. Looking for a permanent position, but want to try temp work in the meantime? Call a staffing firm right away! Your recruiter can help you connect with top temp jobs while also seeking the long-term position you’re looking for. Since recruiters specialize in building connections, working with a staffing firm improves your chances of finding both temporary and permanent work you’ll love.
At THE RIGHT STAFF, LLC, our experienced recruiters can help you find great temp work in the Twin Cities area while you seek the long-term position of your dreams. Contact us today to learn more.