The Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development makes data-based projections concerning employment trends in Minneapolis and throughout the state, focusing on both short-term and long-term growth. Here are some of the biggest Twin Cities employment trends employers should know:
- Employment growth is huge in healthcare-related industries. The two industries expected to see the biggest growth—and thus the largest need for additional staff—in the next several months and years are registered nursing and home health aides. New positions for retail sales staff and food preparation staff are also expected to increase dramatically.
- Replacing staff who retire continues to be a major challenge for employers. By far the largest “job growth” in every category comes from professionals who retire or switch careers, leaving openings that employers must find qualified people to fill.
- Small businesses will be competing with larger ones for core staff. Significant growth is expected in occupations including customer service, office operations staff, freight and stock workers, accountants and auditors, and sales representatives. Small businesses attempting to break into the Minneapolis scene will need smart strategies to compete for the best talent in these fields.
Using Employment Trend Data to Improve Your Staffing
To plan where you want to go, it helps to know the layout of the territory. Reviewing employment trends is only the beginning. Here’s what to do with the information you have.
- Consider your company’s needs in context. If you expect to add sales staff, for example, monitor employment trends and plan ahead. If sales staff are in high demand in the Minneapolis area, you may need to spend time building your employment brand before launching a search for these professionals.
- Don’t discount contract talent. Temporary or contract staff can provide the skills you need to complete a specialized project or meet a seasonal rush, while allowing you to control staffing costs.
- Work with a staffing partner. Recruiters keep their eye on employment trends, and they know how these trends tend to play out with their clients. They can help you strategize and act so your hiring efforts attract the talent you need.
At THE RIGHT STAFF, LLC, our experienced recruiters help connect our clients in Minneapolis and the Twin Cities to some of the best local candidates available. To learn more, contact us today.