Since our school days, we’ve thought of the winter holiday season as “vacation time.” When you’re on the job market, your full-time job is finding the next step on your career path. Taking time off from this laborious “job” can be tempting. “It’s the holidays,” many job-seekers say to themselves as the end of November approaches. “I’ll take a break.”
While all job-seekers need to rest and recharge from time to time, laying aside your search entirely during the holiday season is a bad idea. This is especially true when hiring is increasing, as it has been for several months, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Drops in the unemployment rate indicate a window of opportunity has opened that can help you land the job you want – regardless of the season.
To keep your job search momentum growing during the holidays, consider these tips:
- Stick to it. Companies hire over the holidays because the need for good people knows no season. Don’t quit looking on the assumption that you won’t hear anything from prospective employers between Thanksgiving and New Year’s.
- ‘Tis the season to network. Use the holidays as a reason to reach out to your personal and professional network. Send greetings or connect with former friends and co-workers at parties.
- Send a greeting. Holiday cards fly like snowflakes during November and December. Sending a “Happy Holidays” or “Happy New Year” card with a handwritten message is a great way to keep your name in front of recruiters, prospective employers, and contacts at your top-choice companies.
- Volunteer. Volunteering allows you to “give” during the holidays in a whole new way, while also building your skills and your resume. Choose organizations or projects that help you build needed “soft” skills for your chosen career, like communication or project management, or that are related to the work you are pursuing.
- Engage with social media. Spend some time over the holidays getting comfortable on one or two major social media platforms, such as LinkedIn or Twitter. If you’re already a social media maven, start actively participating on these sites as part of your job hunt.
At THE RIGHT STAFF, Inc., our experienced recruiters can help you find the right job for you, whether it’s a seasonal position or a long-term career move. Contact us today to learn more!