What you do in the short term following an interview is as important as what you do during the interview. Following up impacts whether you advance in the hiring process.
Your short-term activities after an interview increase the odds of being invited to the next round of interviews or receiving a job offer. Therefore, you should take steps to increase the likelihood of advancement. These suggestions can help.
Discover what to do in the short term following an interview to encourage advancement in the hiring process.
Write Down Key Points
Right after the interview ends, list the key points discussed. This process is especially important for the first interview, as you might be asked similar questions in later interviews:
- Include the main interview questions and your answers to refer to the information as needed.
- Identify what you did well during the interview, what could have been better, and specific ways to improve next time.
- If asked similar questions in subsequent interviews, share additional information to more clearly demonstrate how your knowledge, skills, experience, and accomplishments would benefit the company.
- These additional details further clarify why you should advance in the hiring process.
Send a Thank-You Note
Email a thank-you note to each interviewer. Consider mailing a handwritten thank you note as well for a longer-lasting impact:
- Express appreciation for the interviewer’s time.
- Restate three main topics you discussed.
- Review your top three qualifications for the role.
- Show why you are the best candidate for the position.
- Mention what you like best about the company’s culture, how your skill set would benefit the organization or something you would enjoy working on.
- Share that you look forward to hearing from the interviewer soon.
If the timeframe to hear back from the interviewer passes, send them a follow-up email:
- Keep your message short and concise.
- Share that you still are interested in the role.
- Offer to provide a sample of your work, answer more questions, or provide additional information if needed.
- Conclude by saying you look forward to hearing from the interviewer soon.
Continue Your Job Search
Keep applying for jobs as you wait to hear back after an interview. Maintaining your momentum increases the likelihood of finding the role you desire. You might receive multiple job offers and be better equipped to negotiate the offer that is best for you.
Partner with a Staffing Firm
Work with THE RIGHT STAFF for coaching, resources, and support throughout your Minneapolis job search. Visit our job board today!